In July, 2018 (on one of the hottest days) we conducted an experiment to see how long a solid frozen bottle
of Polar Spring water would take to return liquid again.
The bottle was placed in a freezer for over 24 hours.
The bottle was placed out on the hot pavement, in this case a driveway.
The driveway pavement had a temperature of 141 degrees Fahrenheit.
The bottle temperature started at 29 degrees Fahrenheit.
Some notes to add here is that there was passing clouds during the experiment, but the day stayed very humid.
The bottle stayed in the one spot during the experiment and didn't move.

H the B Logo


Weather Data: Air Temp.: 97F, Humidity: 60%, Sky conditions: partly cloudy with passing cumulus clouds (med level).
Plastic Bottle Stats: 16.9 fl oz. (1 pt) of Poland Spring bottled water. We used an IR digital thermometer aimed at the same place on the bottle for temperature taking, we did not take the temperature from within the bottle. At experiment start the bottle temperature was 29.0F, the driveway pavement measured in at 140F. The bottle was placed on the pavement in one place and was not moved when the experiment started.
Every 5 minutes the temperature was taken of the bottle first, then the pavement after zeroing temperature. At the 5 minute mark condensation started to appear on the bottle (lightly), at 15 minutes heavy condensation was noticed.
60 minutes (1 hour) in condensation was going, we had a bottle temperature of 62.8F with a pavement temperature of 138.9F.
The entire experiment lasted for 1 hour and 25 minutes on of the problems we had with the experiment was the passing clouds this can be seen on the graph were the temperature would drop then go back up at one point the clouds covered the sun for a little over 5 minutes dropping the pavement temperature by about 15F.
The Averge temperatures: for the bottle: 57.5F and the pavement came in at about 136.6F. The aim of this experiment was to see how long a frozen bottle of water would take on a warm/hot sunny day to liquefy. One thing that was noticed was that solid water would liquefy from outside in, so there would be an icy core inside the bottle, this icy core was present 80 minutes into the experiment, but at the 85 minute mark it was gone ending the experiment at a cool 69F. Now I've hiked with a frozen bottle of water and noticed the same thing, also I've noticed it to liquefy quicker, I've also wrapped then in aluminum foil to saty frozen longer, hum...maybe the next experiment.
Stay tune for the next experiment.